To webcam or not to webcam?

Discussion in 'Getting Started on YouTube' started by KlausGaming, May 3, 2015.

1. KlausGaming

KlausGaming Member

What's your take on this?

I use a facecam on some of the videos, but it makes editing a hassle. Do you think it adds any value or is voice narration better in your opinion?

2. DesireHD

DesireHD Member

In my opinion it really depends on the content i am creating. If for instance its just a lets play, then no i would not use a face cam, however if its something competitive, or something where the reaction is a big thing, i would deffo use one.

RBG likes this.
  3. Luxatus Patella

Luxatus Patella Member

I never quite got the purpose of Facecam - it blocks one corner of the game UI, 90% of what is recorded from Facecam is not interesting to the viewer (this means, only the laughs / screams / other types of reactions are interesting). Let's take an example - a player gets confused over something that is happening in the game, or something is glitching out. Already, the commentary is like "Huh, what just happened? What is this? Euhm... did I just break the game?" What does Facecam add? A confused face on the player's look, a.k.a., no value.

Definitely, but this would work better on something like a compilation video. Now, one might say "Lux, how about horror? It's fun to see people scared, right?" OK, I'll give you that one. It's fun to see people on the edge of pissing their pants. But when people use it for other types of games, I just do not feel the need for it.

The only other value I can see from Facecam is that, if you try to be more charismatic or interactive with your audience, then yes, your face and eye contact to the camera lens may actually help - it may help convey the message from a more personal level. But if you're gonna scream and ask "Did you see that?" I'm gonna reply with "No, your facecam is distracting me!"

Woah, this looks like I really hate Facecam. Oh well, it's my opinion, you may hate on it, I'm not saying it's an useless feature - it can have value - but I do see some videos of people with Facecam, and often in these videos I am struggling what they think the added value of Facecam to their videos is.

bruh... and RBG like this.
  4. KlausGaming

KlausGaming Member

The added value might be a stronger feeling of connection to you as the commentator.

I think that your viewers need to connect with you and what you present in some way to convert to subs that stay.

Otherwise they'll move on when you switch game or they got the information they needed. I think most of us watch stuff produced by people we like or think that we would enjoy hanging out with.

I'm not advocating using a facecam on all sorts of videos but I don't think that it only has value for extra entertainment in horror games etc.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Luxatus Patella

Luxatus Patella Member

I respect your opinion, it is important to connect with your viewers. If you feel you can do it effectively with Facecam, go for it.

Hmm, I don't think that has to be the case. A voice alone can achieve this as well, I believe. Has to be a good voice, yes, but still. ;)

6. GamerPerfection

GamerPerfection Well-Known Member Staff Member Damn Mod

Why does it make editing a hassle?

7. AHeapOfGames

AHeapOfGames Active Member

I think it's simple: It LOOKS better, more professional. If done right, of course.

The majority of big YouTube channels do this. Not only does it look better in many peoples opinions, but, as mentioned, it's a good way of connecting to an audience. I think you misjudge it when you say it's all about the reaction, because a lot of it is down to making the audience feel like you're talking to them. Eye contact is an extremely and often over-looked (ha!) tool. The best facecammers look directly into the camera on numerous occasions during a video.

RBG likes this.
  8. KlausGaming

KlausGaming Member

Editing out all of the small mistakes of wording and banging of a coffeecup etc. is more visible also adding new narration if I fucked up a part completely is a lot harder as the new narration isn't going to have lip sync with the webcam feed.

If I use a webcam I think I have a lot less room for mistakes, so I try only to do it on shorter videos.

9. Shdwj

Shdwj Active Member

I agree with you, Klaus, I feel like facecams can help your audiences connect with you as a content creator. I realized that as I was watching Markiplier. The way that he would speak into the camera as if he would speak to an audience in person really helped me connect with him as one of the many audience members that he already has, haha.

As has been said, some games work better with facecam than others. Some games are able to draw more reactions from gamers and it's usually those games where facecam adds the most to the video. If done right, it really can add to the video depending on the game that you're playing.

10. Shdwj

Shdwj Active Member

That's what I was thinking about facecams and long-running LPs as well. I think it only adds more work to the work needed to manage a long series. I find that it's most effective with one shot videos.

Last edited: May 6, 2015