Clicky

The Review Team

Discussion in 'YouTube Channel Promotion' started by wolfio_gunz, Apr 19, 2015.

1. wolfio_gunz

wolfio_gunz Active Member Staff Member Damn Mod

The Review Team

[​IMG]

I’m Wolfio_Gunz, Wolfy works as well, and I am the new Review Team Leader. My job is to reform and direct a revamped Review Team!

Allow me to begin by saying that it is very encouraging seeing all of the activity growing on DamnLag, and I am beyond happy with the opportunity to expand on what we already have in our community. What I am about to introduce is completely voluntary, and though I take the task quite seriously, I am a reasonable human being and will be happy to work with any sort of contribution!

The RT will be responsible for giving a constant stream of feedback to the growing DamnLag community, including both critique and mention of positive aspects to give the channel owner a sense of what he/she has produced thus far. Our job is important because some of the smaller channels that join DamnLag have trouble getting any sort of viewership or feedback.

With that all said, the revamp of the RT will mean that existing roles will now be expanded upon. Any current member of DamnLag can give critique or review to channels on the channel promotion thread. Being a member of the RT requires dedicated effort to improving the channels promoted, which means that RT members will have to go above and beyond basic critique.

What Does an RT Member Do?

I could draw this out into lengthy explanations, but I will bullet list the essentials to keep this post more friendly on newcomers.

• Weekly Channel Reviews. While this wasn't as enforced before, providing one weekly review will now be required to maintain RT member status. If you cannot give a review for a week or two, please attempt to contact me. I’m only trying to limit the number of inactive RT members, not punish those with real-life obligations.

• Thorough Reviews. While one sentence reviews like “Good channel, I like the thumbnails” are uplifting, being a RT member means going above and beyond that. I will provide a few examples of existing reviews in the immediate response to this thread, but the idea is to breakdown the channel chosen into several aspects. A specific template will not be enforced, but I will list a few things to critique below.

• Follow Through With Reviews. The job doesn’t really end if the channel critiqued has questions following your review. Be sure to answer any lingering questions and do your best to reference the owner somewhere helpful if you cannot give them complete answers.

How do I Become an RT Member?

If you’d like to become an RT member, send DamnLag or I a message. Existing members should post below that they are still active, just so I can mop up the inactives and create a running table of names. There is no application to become a member, but I will use my discretion to determine who I should accept for the role. Don’t expect high criteria, I’m just looking for active members.

What Should I Look for When Reviewing?

If you would like to use or suggest different features, feel free. These are just suggestions for people starting out.

• Channel Graphics. Things like avatar, channel art and thumbnails are huge factors for channels. Look to see if the art is pleasant, attractive and in sync with the rest of the channel’s artwork. You may advise people to use similar themed gfx or you might tell someone that their thumbnails are hard to read.

• Home Page Layout. Check if the home page is attractive to new viewers. Channel introductions to new viewers might be something to look for. Layout of featured videos or playlists might also be something to look for.

• Quality. Watch the videos to see if the video and audio quality is up to par with other successful channels. Poor quality can lose audience retention.

• Search Engine Optimization. There are several threads on DamnLag showing the importance of SEO. Check to see if the channel is using tags, titles and descriptions to the best of their ability.

• Video Content. Watch the video and comment on why you enjoyed/disliked the video. Talk about video length, editing and general entertainment of the commentary/personality of the video.

Please do suggest more ideas for reviews and I’ll add them to the list.

While the review is up to your discretion, I do have two other suggestions for possible reveiws. While you can leave critique on the thread, it may also help to leave a review in a sense of the word review. Leave a general paragraph giving a review as if the audience was someone thinking about watching the channel. I also had the idea of leaving a rating on some of the channels, but that might flare tempers if used in poor situations. Just food for thought!

Thank you guys for giving the Review Team a chance, I hope I’m able to revamp the RT into an extremely functional asset on DamnLag!

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. wolfio_gunz

Here are a few example reviews which I would expect out of RT members.

ManCave TV likes this.
  3. D60Gaming

D60Gaming Member

I would Love to be a part of the review team Wolfio!

4. AnarchyofAdam

AnarchyofAdam Active Member

I always look at new posts and try to see what I can say to help out those trying to grow. I do this hoping others will do the same for me. I don't usually fill entire walls of text like the examples over there, but if I am added to the Review Team, I'll starting upping my game. I can give a review a week. I've been here for a week and I've been giving reviews and advice every day. I want to help people grow.

5. MiliMate

MiliMate Active Member

You guys are doing an awesome job in maintaining a constant flow of feedback, and indeed go above and beyond to point out interesting facts about one's channel.

I believe you have reviewed mine, and you took the time to point out things that weren't in an optimal state, including things that I never thought about. Being very happy with the review, I got to work on it straight away. With great results too, as I received very positive feedback just minutes after I changed what you suggested.

I guess I am trying to say that the RT knows what it's talking about, is always honest, and are able to provide feedback on a very professional level. My current job doesn't allow me to be consistent if I were to be a member of the RT, but I do my best to provide feedback and help to any new posts on the channel promotion forum.

Keep it up guys, you have my upmost respect.

6. wolfio_gunz

Welcome aboard! I'll see about getting you tags.

I apologize for the examples, I was just trying to emphasize that thorough reviewers are what I'm looking for. No need to write walls of text, as long as your posts are meaningful.
    If you're interested, welcome aboard!

Thank you! I'm glad you found the review to be so helpful =)
    You can still join the RT if you'd like to! As long as you post frequently, I don't see a reason why you couldn't. It would be no problem working with your schedule!

7. VidoG

VidoG Member

If I want you to make a review on my channel, how do I go along with doing so? It's fairly new and with a few videos, if the mistakes could be fixed in the start it'd give me a lot more luck in the future though.

8. wolfio_gunz

I haven't determined if we're going to have a structured request thread yet, that's going to be something we'd have to iron out in the coming days.

I personally don't have a problem with requests, but I know some people prefer to take things at their pace. I'll be sure to check out your channel sometime today or tommorow =)

VidoG likes this.
  9. VidoG

VidoG Member

Alright,
    Alright, I'd really appreciate if you took some of your time off to help me out ;)

10. wolfio_gunz