Subreddits for video promotion?

Flurex

Hello everyone! :D
So I recently got into using Reddit and have been wondering if there are any Subreddits where you can promote you videos, but are not taken as advertising/spam and people actually watch them.

I doubt that there are places like this, but hopefully something exists...

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

I'm really new to Reddit as well... like only a few days of experience.

If something works for me, I'll let you know.

Flurex

I'm really new to Reddit as well... like only a few days of experience.

If something works for me, I'll let you know.
Thanks, Sent! Glad to know I am the only one new to Reddit! :p

MiliMate

Hey Flurex,

Reddit is a hard-to-understand tool for promotion. While self-promotion is generally slain to bits and downvoted to hell, there are some that make it through the endless hordes of punishers. It's all about delivering something unique, like @GamerPerfection did with his Dodos vs. Dilos video, or @YoungBonesGaming with their Oculus Rift-variant of GTA 5. These videos can be placed on some of the subreddits about that game. In general, more generic subreddits that allow link-posting are often quickly becoming graveyards of links and not much else.

Normal LP's or Funny Moments often stand no chance in any Reddit environment. It will get downvoted, and even worse, some Redditors take it upon themselves to dislike the actual videos as well. Try a new approach, something that's (kinda) unique, but above all, talk with people first. Personally, I've seen a big influx of channel views by just adding a "flair", which is set per subreddit if it's allowed or not, and can hold your channel link.

Hope this helps.

YoungBonesGaming

Hey!
Stahly here, it's usually my partner in crime Calton that speaks with you guys, but as I reddit is the community I spend a lot of my time on, I'll tell you how to handle it.
I am currently working on a guide that should go up on the r/letsplay Subreddit in the next few days, but I don't know exactly when, so I'll say this now as weekends on Reddit are a great time to post.

Overall, you won't find a specific place on any website to put your videos to get some views, those places for dumping links to your content are only ever frequented by other content creators with the same idea. You may pick up a small handful of views from places like r/newtubers, r/youtubegamers and r/Letsplayvideos, but I wouldn't count on it.

You want to attract new viewers and especially viewers that aren't content creators themselves, a lot of people's dead subs come from being on youtube for a long time and making friends with people who just won't watch the content (I'm guilty of it myself, doing this properly takes a lot of time).

Your best bet with Reddit is to find subreddits specific to the game you're playing.
For example for our "Things to Do in GTA with an Oculus Rift" video, we hit about four communities at once and tailored posts around the mentality of that subreddit and what they like as a group. Don't just drop a link and run, or post your video with the sentence "any feedback you have would be really appreciated" you want to highlight the game and what you brought to it to make it worth their time watching.

This is one of the posts I made for a video that's now appearing in high in search results and in Suggested Videos for a few others. It's now rapidly appraching 5k views, and for a channel with only 386 subs, that's really not bad: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/3n94hf/gta_with_an_oculus/

This particular subreddit is dedicated to the PC community of GTA and they've always been really accepting of our ideas. As you can see I've explained our experiences with running the Oculus with GTA and made the video a secondary point and talked more about the software we used to make it run in case anyone else wanted to do it

I can't find the post now, but on r/oculus, they're more into devs and everything so I had to change the post to talk about how I got it working and apologised that we're more energetic than a lot of what they see, making the point that we're being entertainers rather than a proxy for them to experience what we went through and we also traded a few ideas of what's good to run with this software.

Don't share every video to Reddit, especially if it's a vanilla LP where you're just playing through the game, anyone can just play a game, after all, so you want to show them unique ideas.

Someone that we follow (Many a True Nerd) absolutely exploded last year because he took a different approach to the games he was playing, he started a Kill Everything run in Fallout 3 and a No Guns run of the original Mass Effect, more recently he's moved on to a YOLO challenge on Fallout NV where he can't heal or use any medpacks through the whole game. Reddit found all of those and loved them. (definitely check him out too, very funny guy)

Another way to use Reddit is to be active within a community. We're active in r/Letsplay which is very centred around LPers helping other LPers, sharing hints and tips, it's actually where Markiplier learned what he knows and there's some fantastic resources there to help learn your craft rather than doing it blindly.

Hope this helps.

Hey Flurex,

Reddit is a hard-to-understand tool for promotion. While self-promotion is generally slain to bits and downvoted to hell, there are some that make it through the endless hordes of punishers. It's all about delivering something unique, like @GamerPerfection did with his Dodos vs. Dilos video, or @YoungBonesGaming with their Oculus Rift-variant of GTA 5. These videos can be placed on some of the subreddits about that game. In general, more generic subreddits that allow link-posting are often quickly becoming graveyards of links and not much else.

Normal LP's or Funny Moments often stand no chance in any Reddit environment. It will get downvoted, and even worse, some Redditors take it upon themselves to dislike the actual videos as well. Try a new approach, something that's (kinda) unique, but above all, talk with people first. Personally, I've seen a big influx of channel views by just adding a "flair", which is set per subreddit if it's allowed or not, and can hold your channel link.

Hope this helps.
maybe that's why I didn't get hate on what I posted on reddit... also choose the very specific subreddits for my machinima videos.

Flurex

Hey Flurex,

Hope this helps.
Hey Mili! Thanks for the great answer! I see you 24/7 on different subreddits! xD Will try to change it up a bit sometime! :p

Flurex

Hey!
Stahly here, it's usually my partner in crime Calton that speaks with you guys, but as I reddit is the community I spend a lot of my time on, I'll tell you how to handle it.
I am currently working on a guide that should go up on the r/letsplay Subreddit in the next few days, but I don't know exactly when, so I'll say this now as weekends on Reddit are a great time to post.

Overall, you won't find a specific place on any website to put your videos to get some views, those places for dumping links to your content are only ever frequented by other content creators with the same idea. You may pick up a small handful of views from places like r/newtubers, r/youtubegamers and r/Letsplayvideos, but I wouldn't count on it.

You want to attract new viewers and especially viewers that aren't content creators themselves, a lot of people's dead subs come from being on youtube for a long time and making friends with people who just won't watch the content (I'm guilty of it myself, doing this properly takes a lot of time).

Your best bet with Reddit is to find subreddits specific to the game you're playing.
For example for our "Things to Do in GTA with an Oculus Rift" video, we hit about four communities at once and tailored posts around the mentality of that subreddit and what they like as a group. Don't just drop a link and run, or post your video with the sentence "any feedback you have would be really appreciated" you want to highlight the game and what you brought to it to make it worth their time watching.

This is one of the posts I made for a video that's now appearing in high in search results and in Suggested Videos for a few others. It's now rapidly appraching 5k views, and for a channel with only 386 subs, that's really not bad: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/3n94hf/gta_with_an_oculus/

This particular subreddit is dedicated to the PC community of GTA and they've always been really accepting of our ideas. As you can see I've explained our experiences with running the Oculus with GTA and made the video a secondary point and talked more about the software we used to make it run in case anyone else wanted to do it

I can't find the post now, but on r/oculus, they're more into devs and everything so I had to change the post to talk about how I got it working and apologised that we're more energetic than a lot of what they see, making the point that we're being entertainers rather than a proxy for them to experience what we went through and we also traded a few ideas of what's good to run with this software.

Don't share every video to Reddit, especially if it's a vanilla LP where you're just playing through the game, anyone can just play a game, after all, so you want to show them unique ideas.

Someone that we follow (Many a True Nerd) absolutely exploded last year because he took a different approach to the games he was playing, he started a Kill Everything run in Fallout 3 and a No Guns run of the original Mass Effect, more recently he's moved on to a YOLO challenge on Fallout NV where he can't heal or use any medpacks through the whole game. Reddit found all of those and loved them. (definitely check him out too, very funny guy)

Another way to use Reddit is to be active within a community. We're active in r/Letsplay which is very centred around LPers helping other LPers, sharing hints and tips, it's actually where Markiplier learned what he knows and there's some fantastic resources there to help learn your craft rather than doing it blindly.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for this detailed answer! Many thanks, YBG! :D
Cheers! :)

TheKirkyLife

I've been considering using Reddit but have stayed away mostly because it puts your content at risk. Nice strategy though, YoungBones! May look out for Rocket League...

Discord

Latest New Threads