Clicky

[Guide] Gaining search traffic as a Small Channel.

Discussion in 'Getting Started on YouTube' started by YoungBonesGaming, Nov 11, 2016.

1. YoungBonesGaming

YoungBonesGaming Active Member Staff Member Damn Mod

Porting a post I made on r/letsplay a while ago:

What I'm going to do here is run through my own entire process when it comes to any kind of SEO to rank well as a smaller channel. This will be primarily for the kind of content we create on new games, so for those covering older stuff that's not often searched for, I can't really help you. Also VidIQ is one of the tools I'll be talking about on this little post as well so if it's not something you use, I'd recommend you download the Chrome plugin to know exactly what we're discussing throughout this post. This was originally written for one of our users who wanted some help, but I ended up formatting it like an actual post anyway, so I might as well post it. Using this strategy, the vast majority of our traffic sources for the last few months have been from sources linked to our metadata, so things like Search Traffic, External Search Engines (Even a few on Yahoo) and suggested videos linked from other people's relevant videos.

I'm actually going to start with the whole matter of *Game Choice* here as, honestly, it's a massvive part of search traffic that people often forget. VidIQ has a "Competition" and "Search Traffic" function whilst you're searching which will show you a score of 1-100 of how many videos there are for a particular search term along with how many people are actively looking for this content (I'm pretty sure this links in with Google Trends somehow but that's a conversation for another time). The tool itself is extremely handy so use it to your advantage as a channel that does a lot of one-offs whilst you're choosing games to play whilst scrolling through Steam's "New" and "Upcoming" sections as well as anywhere else you're getting games. Now the best questions to ask yourself when searching for a game would be "does it have a high competition and a low search volume?" If so, don't bother with it unless it's something that you can have a fun idea for or you just want to see what it's like. Does the game have a high search volume and low amount of videos? **Cover it** (if it matches what you're making).

-------------------------------------------

Alright, so now we've got our game, I'll use one of our recent successes as an example, our Human Fall Flat Co-Op video that's picked up around 5k now with half of the traffic coming from search results with the next biggest traffic source coming from recommended videos, Last time I checked, I think we also outranked the Game Grumps coverage for the game on two of the videos we've done for it. So it's definitely working.

Video title:

• Human Fall Flat 1.0 Multiplayer Gameplay | Young Bones Play Human Fall Flat Local Co-op

Now your title is your "Master Tag", it's the most important part of your metadata besides your channel name. Just look at Rooster Teeth's "Lets Play" channel which dominates most LP related content for games they've covered, it's not because they've got a shit tonne of views (they have), but a channel name which pretty much encompasses an entire genre. Now that's not really something you can change and no one is expecting people to come up with whole new genres, so the next best thing we can do is title our videos in ways that strike off exactly what people are looking for. This one in particular strikes off the "Human Fall Flat 1.0", "Human Fall Flat multiplayer", "Human Fall Flat multiplayer gameplay" and the "Human Fall Flat local Co-op" search terms

Right so here's where you've got a little more freedom and it's still something I'm personally getting to grips with to do with any kind of efficency. Your description is another great opportunity to cover any potential search terms that you weren't able to fit into the title and also reinforce what's already in your title by repeating those phrases above. Now obviously you can't just straight up list different search terms, because at that point Youtube notices and doesn't push the video as much. Basically it needs to be in readable sentences for it to get anywhere.

Much like the description, the tags are there for you to effectively "Tag" alternate search terms to your video. Rather than the hashtag system that Instagram, Facebook and Twitter use, Youtube's system is a little more refined. Just think to yourself "If I wanted to find this video, what would I search?" and BAM you have your tags.

Remember those search terms you put into your description? Reinforce them in your tags. VidIQ have a measure for "Tripled Keywords", what this means is where you've had a keyword repeat across all three metadata fields which as I mentioned, reinforces that particular search term, youtube basically thinks "Hey this is super relevant"

James27 likes this.
  2. DJStitch

DJStitch Premium Damn Premium