Face cam tips?

jfnoxus

I posted this in general cause I didn't feel like this fitted in the other sections so appologies if this is in the wrong section.

So I decided I want to try out doing facecams in my videos. A few days ago someone asked why I didn't do them. I did think of using facecams before but didn't feel like it would add much to the video, I thought facecams would only really fit if you did horror games. But I do believe now that facecams can help you connect a bit more with your audience and it's like watching a friend play something.

I've been looking up how to properly add it into the video etc. But I don't have much experience with doing facecams though, so I'd like to ask you guys if you have any good tips, tricks, do's and don'ts I should keep in mind when doing facecam stuff.

Also, I don't know a game yet that I'd like to play for my "test" video, to see how people react to me doing facecams. So game suggestions would be appriciated! Keep in mind I don't use steam and I can't play games on my laptop besides emulators. I do retro games and games on xbox

Thanks in advance

AHeapOfGames

I think in order to do facecam, you will have to purchase a programme. I can't think of any way you can do it for free, but maybe there is.

I use a programme called litecam, which I really do recommend. You can change the size of the facecam, decide where it goes on the screen, etc...

As for the facecam itself, make sure you face is well-lit, and preview it beforehand to make sure that half your face is not out of camera shot =P Sometimes I forget.

Also, this is all for PC. I don't know much at all for consoles. Maybe this is all useless for xbox, but hey, I'll try to help!

achmetha

I use OBS to capture my webcam. Most of them are directshow compatible and will be able to hook into OBS no problem. My #1 tip would be good lighting. You can make almost any camera look good if the lighting is spot on.

jfnoxus

AHeapOfGames said:
I think in order to do facecam, you will have to purchase a programme. I can't think of any way you can do it for free, but maybe there is.

I use a programme called litecam, which I really do recommend. You can change the size of the facecam, decide where it goes on the screen, etc...

As for the facecam itself, make sure you face is well-lit, and preview it beforehand to make sure that half your face is not out of camera shot =P Sometimes I forget.

Also, this is all for PC. I don't know much at all for consoles. Maybe this is all useless for xbox, but hey, I'll try to help!
You won't need a program. I used my camera and then synced up the footage with my commentary audio in sony vegas. I can't strain my poor laptop too much x3

achmetha said:
I use OBS to capture my webcam. Most of them are directshow compatible and will be able to hook into OBS no problem. My #1 tip would be good lighting. You can make almost any camera look good if the lighting is spot on.
I have stumbled upon that problem as well yeah. I did a facecam in the evening and foud out the lighting in my video sucked. I can on ly record a facecam in day time :/

YuB

Lighting is everything. I agree with whoever said to just get a camera, film yourself while you play, and then sync it up to your gameplay afterwards in editing. This gives you TOTAL control over the size and placement of the facecam without having to worry about it beforehand. Also don't make it too big, when it blocks a bunch of the game, that is very annoying.

Broooksy

Firstly, knowing what's important on the gameplay as this will help with position. Clearly you don't want your webcam to overlap something like a minimap or a scoreboard or something so position is key so that people can get the best of both worlds; your face and the gameplay! Secondly, create an overlay for the webcam. It will help create the feeling that the webcam is part of the gameplay, not just a video on top of it! Last, make sure the camera is in focus and that you're not to near nor too far away as it will make it more enjoyable to watch you when you're not pressed up against it!

jfnoxus

Broooksy said:
Firstly, knowing what's important on the gameplay as this will help with position. Clearly you don't want your webcam to overlap something like a minimap or a scoreboard or something so position is key so that people can get the best of both worlds; your face and the gameplay! Secondly, create an overlay for the webcam. It will help create the feeling that the webcam is part of the gameplay, not just a video on top of it! Last, make sure the camera is in focus and that you're not to near nor too far away as it will make it more enjoyable to watch you when you're not pressed up against it!
Yeah I already thought of that and know how to use a camera yes. Thanks for the overlay tip. I made 1 facecam test videos. I used a plugin in vegas to have the video in a cirleso it cuts out a bit of the background so you can see more of the gameplay itself. Here's a link if you're interested:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NBj6YJxADI[/media]

jfnoxus

fracturedzn said:
Ive thought about facecam, but i never found a decent program
You don't need a program for facecam. You need to use a seperate camera. I use a NIkon D32000. Then I add everything together in sony vegas.

Discord