Can I monetize Game Footage without Problem?

Damnlag

Administrator
Staff member
Damn Admin
I wasn't referring to my network. As we are not a network that solely provides for gamers. But networks such as machinima, and TGN have there own deals with developers.
Actually no they do not. There have been legal issues over the years, but ultimately we have been given the permission from many developers and publishers to use in-game content for parody, commentary, as long as we do not use the soundtracks/in-game music.

Head over here to Machinima's wiki page and scroll down to Limitations and Solutions, as well as the Microsoft and Blizzard column below that one. It explains the legal issues and solutions that we've been able to achieve over the years thanks to Machinima videos.

Nemixx

Actually no they do not. There have been legal issues over the years, but ultimately we have been given the permission from many developers and publishers to use in-game content for parody, commentary, as long as we do not use the soundtracks/in-game music.

Head over here to Machinima's wiki page and scroll down to Limitations and Solutions, as well as the Microsoft and Blizzard column below that one. It explains the legal issues and solutions that we've been able to achieve over the years thanks to Machinima videos.
Then what was the big deal with becoming a partner a few years back? Honestly seems like all networks are just sloping down hill lol I just read up on yeousch.

Damnlag

Administrator
Staff member
Damn Admin
Then what was the big deal with becoming a partner a few years back? Honestly seems like all networks are just sloping down hill lol I just read up on yeousch.
Well a few years back a lot of the features on YouTube, thumbnails, etc. were only available to partnered channels. Now, they unlock for non partners and networks pretty much serve no purpose anymore other than support and provide seo, graphics, etc.

Nemixx

Well a few years back a lot of the features on YouTube, thumbnails, etc. were only available to partnered channels. Now, they unlock for non partners and networks pretty much serve no purpose anymore other than support and provide seo, graphics, etc.
I knew the banner, thumbnails part I just thought the reason being you couldn't be a gaming channel and partner with YouTube.

CaptainSauce

Don't monetize any kind of game play unless partnered with a network it's not worth the chance of copyright
Well that's a total biased crock.

Most game devs have open statements saying you can monetize their gameplay. You don't need to ask permission and you don't need a network. You can find it on their websites or you can find a number of game friendly dev wiki lists on the web.

Some (like Activision or EA) you have to work a little harder to learn about. They say their videos are protected by US copyright laws and they retain the right to remove anything they deem unfit, but they've openly given YouTube a statement saying they won't be actively chasing people monetizing videos. It's why you can see Call of Duty and The Sims 4 everywhere without problem UNLESS you put up videos without commentary or full cut-scenes from the story.

Networks have no special deal with gaming companies, and in most cases will do nothing to protect you if you get a strike.

Discord

Latest New Threads