Adjust Settings on Audacity for Better Commentaries

Discussion in 'Getting Started on YouTube' started by GameOverViper, Apr 26, 2015.

1. GameOverViper

GameOverViper Administrator Staff Member Damn Admin

So I had issues with Audacity myself. The voice quality was poor and just didn't sound right at all. It was so bad that for a while I didn't bother making commentary at all. Now, I'm ready to start going big with commentary.

I just wanted to share a few setting changes and effects that I learned so far with Audacity. Now there's plenty of other settings and tools that you can play with, so feel free to watch other videos and guides on making your commentary perfect.

This video will show you how to remove background noise and adjust bassboost.

Something I always did before today was started talking as soon as I hit that record button. As you'll see in the video, let it record a couple seconds to get background noise so you can remove it.

Something else that I learned from another member (@PauseBreakAlex) is that the Project Rate (Hz) should be at a default 44100. For some reason mine was set at 96000 and sounded bad.

Hope that helps out some people. If you have tips and suggestions for other settings to improve Audacity commentary, feel free to comment below and I'll add to the thread with new stuff.

Karinabob and PhantomPhoenix like this.
  2. DJStitch91

DJStitch91 Guest

Just to update people bass boost is no longer called "bassboost" in the latest versions its under "Bass and treble" when you use it be sure to disable (un-check box) "enable level control" or just set it to at least 0 or it makes the audio slightly quieter, of course if you want to raise the audio a little then now is the time as it will compensate it here.

Also if you find yourself using the same Compressor and Bass and Treble variables then you can create a "chain" which will apply all these for you in 1 click.

here's how:
    http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/chains_for_batch_processing_and_effects_automation.html

Karinabob and GameOverViper like this.
  3. GameOverViper

GameOverViper Administrator Staff Member Damn Admin

I think I'm still using an older version of Audacity @DJStitch91 lol. Thanks for the additional information ;)

4. DJStitch91

DJStitch91 Guest

another tut for compressor

Karinabob likes this.
  5. Locikll

Locikll Member

Audacity is an amazing tool when it comes to removing background noise, and just making things sound sexier in general.

6. Sevvy

Sevvy Member

I am currently using audacity and im gonna mess around with the settings haha

7. ChickenKrispy

ChickenKrispy Active Member

I've played around with my settings a lot and was able to tune it to my preferences. It took a lot of tweaks, but I'm definitely happy with it.

8. Rongotea

Rongotea New Member

Thanks you

9. ZeeKiwi

ZeeKiwi New Member

This is something I've scoured the internet to try and find out and this is more than helpful. Thanks so much for the post!